Monday, January 21, 2013

Roaring River


Roaring River has to be one of my favorite spots that I have visited during my stays in Jamaica. Absolutely gorgeous, clean water flows from the hills to irrigate the sugar cane on a plot of land that was once home to a slave plantation. The caves on the piece of land are filled with stories and must-see rock formations, all of which can be pointed out by one of the local tour guides.

I feel as though I’ll say this many times, however this was one of the experiences that many of our students realized how special and wonderful the opportunity to participate in this program is. Each and every student was wowed by the “bottomless” swimming hole (said to be about 250 feet deep in actuality), the healing mineral springs rushing from rocks, and the beauty of the stalactites and stalagmites creating echoing caverns and tiny tunnels.

While I’ve known the majority of students for at semester at the least, it never ceases to amaze me how quickly a wonderful and unique experience can bring people together. Discussions and conversations I’ve had with different students have been enlightening and exciting. Although many of the students came for a variety of different reasons, they are all experiencing the same fantastic result.

No comments:

Post a Comment